Friday, August 20, 2010

From A Hamburger Today: George Motz Makes a Smashed Burger

A short but sweet primer on makes a fresh, easy burger at home I got (aggregated) from one of m favorite sites, A Hamburger Today. George Motz is the author of the classic hamburger tome, Hamburger America. A book that chronicles the best of this American classic from coast to coast.

I'm a big believer in the hot cast iron skillet method, and I use the very same meat grinder attachment to my stand mixer that is used in this clip. I do deviate a bit from the method on the video, though, as I tend to like to form my patties (gently and lightly packed) so i can more control the size and thickness of my patty.

The key, though, is to use fresh, high quality, well-sourced beef (or lamb) and grind it yourself. It really, really does make a difference folks. Believe me. Really.
************************************

20100817-georgemotzvideo.jpg

Hamburger expert George Motz appears in this short film about burgers by director Mac Premo for Made Possible. "The most difficult way to make a hamburger is the way that everyone thinks is the easiest way to make a hamburger, which is to put it on a flame grill," Motz says. "I prefer to cook mine on a flat top or in a skillet." Them he proceeds to make a smashed burger topped with super thin slices of onions. Cue drooling. Watch the video after the jump.

No comments: